One of the key components of success for an athlete is a Strength & Conditioning program focused on performance and prevention.
Improving performance is the obvious overall objective in sports. But participating in sports increases the chances of being injured, either through physical breakdown, or contact. So a major responsibility of an athlete or a coach is to reduce the odds or severity of injuries by implementing a solid program of:
- Total body strengthening (especially core work)
- Cardiovascular conditioning, specific to the metabolic demands of the sport.
- Speed, agility, and plyometric training
Along with the proper neuromuscular activation and recovery strategies such as:
- Dynamic warm-up
- Self-myofascial release
- Corrective pre & post-stretching
- Cryotherapy (icing)
All together, those strategies will simultaneously counteract the physical stresses, reducing the likelihood of injuries, while enhancing the performance of the entire musculoskeletal and nervous system.
The right program is determined by assessing each sport’s specific demands, as well as each athlete’s individual needs. By identifying the body’s highest vulnerabilities, a well-designed and comprehensive exercise action plan can be administered to protect those areas.
Implementing a systematic routine that centers on safety automatically increases the chances for success. The great news is that many exercises cay be modified to also improve performance through their progression.
3 areas to focus on for a sports Strength & Conditioning program are:
- Improving core strength through a regimen of various exercises that will progressively develop the ability of the core musculature to optimally function in stabilization, and the production of force in all three planes of motion.
- Improving joint mobility, stability, and strength through a progressive scheme of loaded movement training, and stretching that will either isolate and/or involve the muscles in creating optimal function at the joints.
- Reinforcing proper mechanics, improving power, and control of the movements at speeds equivalent to the demands of the sport by incorporating a progressive scheme of speed, agility, and plyometric drills that mimic the demands of the sport.
If you would like to receive an Advanced Athletics’ program, or one-on-one training, please inquire through our contact form . We work with all levels and age groups who are looking to achieve optimal athletic performance in any sport, and reduce the risk for injury. The array of services is designed to support your geographical and financial situation. Based on your needs we can assist you through phone coaching, and periodically updated programs. Advanced Athletics has a high level of success because we believe that when you win, we win.